Caring for Precious Miracles of Premature Birth.
A baby goes through several development stages in the womb, especially during the last few months. However, in some cases, the baby tends to come out early, before 37 weeks – known as premature birth. Premature birth carries various health risks, including the potential for infant mortality, as the baby’s development is incomplete at the time of birth.
What are the Signs and Symptoms of Preterm Labor?
The signs of early labor include –
- Contractions (your abdomen will tighten every 10 minutes or more often)
- Low or faded backache
- Pelvic pressure
- Abdominal cramps with or without diarrhea
- Change in vaginal discharge
If you feel these symptoms before your due date, immediately contact your doctor.
What are the Complications of Premature Birth?
Premature babies usually do not have health conditions. However, being born too early might have serious health implications and cause long-term or short-term health complications. Below are some of the complications of premature birth –
- Breathing problems such as Respiratory Distress Syndrome, Bronchopulmonary Dysplasia
- Heart conditions such as PDA (Patent Ductus Arteriosus) and Low blood pressure
- Brain problems such as hypothermia, intraventricular hemorrhage, etc.
- Digestive problems
- Blood problems such as anemia
- Metabolism problem
- Weak immune system
- Cerebral palsy
- Vision problem (Retinopathy)
- Prematurity apnea
- Hearing problems
- Behavioral and cognitive problems
What are the Common Causes of Premature Birth?
The exact cause of premature births is unknown. In certain cases, doctors may need to induce early labor using medication when women experience pregnancy complications that pose risks to maternal or fetal health. As per CDC (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention), some of the factors associated with preterm birth are as follows –
- Consumption of alcohol and tobacco
- Substance abuse
- Late prenatal care
- Prior preterm birth
- Carrying twins or triplets
- High blood pressure during pregnancy (Preeclampsia)
- Problem with cervix or uterus
- Injuries and traumas to the body
- Being underweight or overweight
- Vaginal bleeding or infection
- Health conditions such as infections and diabetes
What are the Preventive Measures for Preterm Birth?
Though there are no definite causes known for preterm birth, the following are some steps that can be taken to help reduce the risk of preterm birth –
Cervical cerclage is a surgery done during pregnancy if you have a short cervix. During this procedure, the cervix is stitched with a strong suture. This gives the uterus extra support. This is removed when it’s time to have a baby. Also, you should avoid any rigorous activities after the surgery.
Taking Progesterone Supplements
Progesterone supplements may lower the risk of preterm birth if you have had a baby. It might also help if you have a short cervix – an opening in the lower end of the uterus that opens during labor for the baby to come out. The progesterone hormone plays a vital role in pregnancy. You must avoid using tobacco, drugs, or alcohol, get prenatal care, reduce stress, and wait for at least 18 months between pregnancies.
How are Premature Babies Taken Care of?
Your premature babies are given supportive care, medication, and surgery if required. Some of the supportive care given to premature babies are –
- They are placed in an incubator to help maintain the baby’s body temperature.
- Medical professionals closely monitor your baby’s vital signs, including heart rate and pulse, to ensure their well-being and detect any abnormalities.
- They also place a feeding tube to ensure the baby gets food and liquid.
In addition, several tests and medications are prescribed to ensure the baby is healthy. Moreover, surgery might also be required if the premature baby is suffering from any condition.
Why Choose Giggles Hospitals?
Giggles Hospitals for Women Hospital in Vizag, is one of the best hospitals in India, with a team of experts, and advanced technology. We believe in making your pregnancy easier with proper precautions and measures. We understand that there are complications during pregnancy, and we also believe those complications can be avoided if necessary steps are taken at the earliest. Thus, it is advisable to visit our doctors at Best Maternity Hospital Vizag ,if you experience any symptoms of preterm labor. We support you emotionally and physically as well.