We will help you protect yourself against cervical cancer!
A kind of cancer that develops in the cervix is called cervical cancer, also known as Cervical Dysplasia or Cervical Intraepithelial Neoplasia. It is mainly caused by HPV or Human Papillomavirus. It is a particular kind of cancer that develops from cells in the cervix, the portion of the uterus located below the womb. It is usually considered one of the most common types of cancer in women, with over 500,000 new cases identified each year. When discovered at its earliest stages, cervical cancer is treatable and curable, but if it is not found in time or spreads to other body areas, it frequently results in death.
It is brought on by the HPV virus, which affects both men and women. HPV is divided into two categories: low-risk kinds and high-risk kinds. Small cervical lesions are common in low-risk types, and an antibiotic course can be used to treat them. Most cervical cancers are caused by high-risk forms which cannot be cured.
Cervical Cancer Signs & Symptoms
Due to the disease’s propensity for not manifesting symptoms until later stages, many women with cervical cancer are unaware they have it until it is too late. When symptoms manifest, they might be misinterpreted for common diseases, including menstrual cycles and Urinary Tract Infections (UTIs).
Typical signs of cervical cancer include:
- Irregular bleeding, such as between periods, after sex, or after menopause.
- The pelvic area is painful.
- Unusual odour or appearance of the vaginal discharge
- Having more frequent urination.
- Pain while urinating.
What factors cause Cervical Cancer?
Human Papillomavirus (or “HPV”), which spreads through sexual contact, is to blame for the majority of cervical cancer cases. Moreover, the virus that results in genital warts is the same one. The number of HPV strains ranges from 100 to 200, but a few varieties of HPV only bring on cervical cancer. HPV-16 and HPV-18 are the two strains that are most frequently linked to cancer. It’s not a guarantee that you’ll develop cervical cancer if you carry an HPV strain known to cause the disease. The majority of HPV infections are cleared out by your immune system, frequently within two years.
Risk Factors of Cervical Cancer
A few cervical cancer risk factors are as follows:
- The chance of contracting HPV increases with the number of sexual partners a person has—and with the number of partners, your partner may have.
- Early onset of sexual activity is often associated with an increased risk of HPV infection.
- The likelihood of contracting HPV is increased by the presence of other sexually transmitted illnesses (STIs), such as syphilis, chlamydia, gonorrhoea, and HIV/AIDS.
- Smokers and those who remain near smokers (second-hand smokers) are at risk for various cancers that can damage the lungs and other organs. The lungs take in these dangerous substances, which are subsequently circulated throughout the body by the circulation. Squamous cell cervical cancer and smoking have been connected.
- The human body is more vulnerable if the immune system is compromised. Cervical cancer is more likely to occur in persons who have HPV and a weakened immune system as a result of other medical disorders.
Treatment of Cervical Cancer
The course of cervical cancer treatment is determined by various factors, including the disease’s stage, the patient’s preferences, and any other health issues.
- Targeted Therapy
- Radiation Therapy
Prevention of Cervical Cancer
At Giggles Hospital, Women And Children Hospital in Kukatpally, Getting routinely screened with a Pap smear or hrHPV test is one of the simplest ways to prevent or early diagnose cervical cancer. Precancerous cells are discovered during screening, allowing for their early treatment. Most cervical cancer cases are brought on by HPV infection. Prior to being sexually active, vaccinations work best. You can lessen your risk of HPV and cervical cancer in a few other ways, which are listed below:
- Limit the no. of sexual partners you have.
- Whenever you have sex, always use a condom or other barrier.
Why choose Giggles Hospitals?
At Giggles Hospitals, we provide thorough & most advanced oncology diagnostic services. You will be supported and helped during the entire procedure by our highly skilled interdisciplinary medical professionals at Gynecology Hospitals. Our personnel will always be at your disposal and will respond to any questions you may have. Giggles Hospitals with the Best women’s hospital near me, employ world-class amenities and state-of-the-art tools and technologies. Our innovative and cutting-edge surgical techniques will ensure you receive successful treatment and live a fulfilling life.