Gastritis is an inflammation of the stomach lining. Your stomach’s lining is strong. In most circumstances, acid does not harm it. But if you smoke, abuse painkillers known as NSAIDs, or drink too much alcohol, it might become inflamed and irritated. It may result in discomfort, nausea, and indigestion.
Types of Gastritis
There are two main categories of Gastritis:
Erosive Gastritis – Erosive Gastritis is characterized by inflammation as well as erosion of the stomach lining. Reactive Gastritis is another name for this condition.
Non-erosive – Stomach lining inflammation that doesn’t cause it to erode or become vulnerable.
What causes Gastritis?
Numerous factors can lead to Gastritis. It can be brought on by dietary and lifestyle choices like:
- Excessive alcohol consumption
- Extreme anxiety.
- Long-term usage of aspirin and over-the-counter painkillers and fever reducers.
The following medical conditions can cause Gastritis:
- Major Surgery
- Infections brought on by viruses and bacteria
- Burns or severe wounds
Gastritis can be caused by a few diseases. These comprise:
- Autoimmune disorder
- Persistent bile reflux
- Pernicious anemia
Which signs and symptoms follow Gastritis?
Gastritis can be asymptomatic in many individuals. Those who do experience symptoms often mistake them for indigestion or other gastrointestinal issues. Other indications of Gastritis include:
- Black, tarry stool.
- Nausea and vomiting.
- Loss of appetite.
- Feeling particularly stuffed during or after a meal
- Stomach ulcers.
- Losing weight
- Upper abdominal pain
- Vomiting blood.
How is Gastritis diagnosed?
Your doctor will examine you physically and inquire about your medical history and symptoms. Your doctor could also recommend one or more of the following tests:
- Tests for H. Pylori
- A blood test checks for antibodies that combat the H. pylori bacterium.
- Stool test to figure out if you have Gastritis-causing stomach bacteria.
- Endoscopy to check the stomach lining
- X-ray of the Upper Digestive System
How is Gastritis treated?
Your age, general health, the source of your Gastritis, and your symptoms will all affect how you are treated. Furthermore, it will depend on how serious the problem is. Below are some treatment options that your doctor at best Pediatric Hospitals In Vizag may suggest:
- Antacids and other medications are often prescribed in order to lower your stomach acid, which can alleviate symptoms and promote healing of the stomach lining.
- Your healthcare professional will also treat the underlying sickness or infection if it is the root cause of your Gastritis.
- If H. pylori infection is the cause of your Gastritis, your doctor may prescribe a combination of antibiotics and proton pump inhibitors to eradicate the bacteria and promote healing of the stomach lining.
Avoid any meals, beverages, or medications that make you feel sick or upset your stomach. Stop smoking and abstain from drinking as well.
What complications might arise from Gastritis?
Your stomach lining is harmed by chronic Gastritis. Your chance of developing additional health problems may increase. These consist of:
- Peptic ulcer disease that ends up resulting in uncomfortable sores.
- H. pylori can cause bleeding stomach ulcers or Gastritis, which lowers red blood cell numbers and results in anaemia.
- Small cell lumps called gastric polyps can develop on the stomach’s inner lining.
- Stomach lining growths that raise your chance of stomach cancer.
Why choose Giggles?
At Giggles Hospitals, best Women And Children Hospital In Kukatpally, we pride ourselves on providing exceptional services to ensure your visits are comfortable. Our team of doctors, outpatient and pharmacy services are all conveniently located under one roof, with state-of-the-art infrastructure and equipment to deliver comprehensive healthcare in a warm and friendly environment.